Thursday, April 28, 2011

Glow in the dark food

Found this on Our Best Bits blog and thought it looked like so much fun I just had to share. What a great idea to use as a teaching moment (for home schoolers) or as a slumber party treat (one I bet the kids talk about for days).

The secret to glowing food is tonic water (diet tonic water works too).  It contains quinine, and guess what happens when you expose quinine to black light?
fun, right??  So if you mix up a drink (like crystal light lemonade like I’ve done below) and add a little tonic water…
magical glowing beverages! Pretty much anything you can make that includes water can glow with tonic water.  Like Jello for example:
My kids thought that glowing jello was pretty much the coolest thing ever.
Now tonic water does have a nasty bitter taste to it.  My kids actually didn’t notice at all, which I thought was strange.  Maybe I’m just super sensitive.  I don’t like the flavor, so if you’re like me know that you only need a little to make it glow.  Adding a bit to juice or punch isn’t very noticeable.  And if you do jello, you can use part regular water (half and half, or even less tonic) to minimize the bitter taste.

No comments: