Monday, April 18, 2011

DIY packaged oatmeal

If you enjoy the convience of oatmeal but are on a budget or simply prefer better control on what is in it...this DIY recipe is for you. One of my fellow bargain hunters took the time to taste test several different oatmeal combos with her family and this is the recipe that Life As A Mom came up with. I also added a recipe I had used myself in the past. Both recipes will work out to be much cheaper than the traditional store purchased packets.

For each little bag, she ended up combining the following ingredients. Each packet is ready to go into a bowl with water and microwave....Viola, breakfast is ready!
  • 1/4 cup quick oats
  • 1 teaspoon milk powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Here is a version that I had used for myself in the past. It is a higher in protein and has the fruit added instead of the brown sugar/cinnamon flavor.
  • 1/4 C quick oats
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (your brand preference, I like MaxPro)
Then when I was ready to cook it, I simply added the water and microwaved. When the oatmeal was done I would scoop out a snack cup of fruit & cream (aka white sugar stuff and canned fruit) into the bowl.

No comments: